February 26, 2011

Anya

This is Anya. She has been my shadow since I first met her at AWANA. It doesn't seem to matter that I don't understand her language, she chatters away to me anyways :) Its been fun trying to communicate with her. We discovered that there are several universal languages we can communicate through:
1. Playing with hair. Since I have long(ish) hair, she sometimes spends an hour brushing and braiding and pinning my hair! Must be a girl thing :)
2. UNO! Every chance we get, she wants to play UNO! Last Sunday, we spent all afternoon doing just that!
3. Passing notes and doodling in church. I know this probably isn't a habbit I should encourage, but I'm a sucker for little kids and can't talk to this one in words, so I use any opportunity that presents itself! We exchanged notebooks and drew hearts and butterflies and such. Then she wrote questions, passed it back to a Lena, who is learning English, to translate, and we talked a little that way :)
I'm attempting to learn a little bit of Russian, but I just can't retain it very well! Its a very complex language, and Mr. Pollard was saying that what we can say in 2-3 sentances in English, it takes them 5 minutes to explain! But for Anya, I am trying!
-For Christ and His glory,
Lindsey Kae

3 comments:

  1. Cute pics, Cuz! Hope you are doing well and we are praying for you!
    Love, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Really good picture, Lindsey. I wish there was a "like" button for this post---if there was, I'd most definitely "like" it. :D

    ReplyDelete